Equinix, PGIM Real Estate form JV for data center investment in Australia

Equinix, PGIM Real Estate form JV for data center investment in Australia

Equinix, Inc. and PGIM Real Estate Monday announced an agreement to establish a US$575 million joint venture in the form of a limited liability partnership to develop and operate two xScale data centers in Sydney, Australia.

The facilities in the joint venture, which will be known as SY9x and SY10x, are expected to provide more than 55 megawatts (MW) of power capacity to serve the unique core workload deployment needs of a targeted group of hyperscale companies, including the world’s largest cloud service providers.

The first xScale data center in Sydney, SY9x is expected to open in Q1 2022.

Under the terms of the agreement, PGIM Real Estate will control an 80% equity interest in the joint venture, and Equinix will own the remaining 20% equity interest.

The joint venture is expected to close in Q4 2021, pending regulatory approval and other closing conditions.

Eric Adler, Chief Executive Officer, PGIM Real Estate said: “We are extremely pleased to partner with Equinix on this investment in Sydney, and we look forward to expanding this strategic relationship in other markets, thereby providing our investors further access to the increasingly important digital infrastructure sector. This is a highly symbiotic venture between two market-leading firms with complementary business models and global capabilities.”

“As digital transformation accelerates across all industries, hybrid multicloud is becoming the IT architecture of choice for leading businesses. These companies recognize that digital infrastructure is a source of competitive advantage, and they are leveraging Platform Equinix to directly connect and operate close to the largest cloud companies powering this infrastructure. Our new relationship with PGIM Real Estate follows our successful partnership with GIC and will enable the world’s largest hyperscalers to expand within the Equinix ecosystem in Australia,” added Charles Meyers, President and CEO, Equinix.

“Australia is set to build out its next wave of capacity, with the hyperscale market expected to grow about double the rate of the retail segment by 2026. There have been unprecedented levels of cloud adoption in the country. Equinix’s expansion into Australia’s hyperscale market is a timely move to address the aggressive demand among hyperscalers in Australia and will further accelerate digital transformation in the country,” said Jabez Tan, Head of Research, Structure Research.

”Combined with Equinix’s existing hyperscale joint ventures in Europe, Asia-Pacific and the Americas, this joint venture will bring the global xScale data center portfolio to more than $7.5 billion across 34 facilities, and an expected greater than 675 MW of power capacity when completed and fully constructed,” said Equinix in a statement.